Thursday, December 2, 2010

How Will You Stop Diabetes®? The Future Is in Your Hands.

During the holidays, we joke that our belts are a little tight around the waist. But for PJ, his tight belt was no laughing matter.

"I kept thinking 'I ought to lose weight,'" he shared.

Returning home from a baseball game one day, PJ experienced tingling in his hands and feet. "I thought that was odd. So the next day, I checked my blood glucose and my jaw dropped because it was so high. I checked the next day in disbelief, and it was still elevated."

"Right then and there, I thought 'My toes at 60. There is NO WAY I was going to lose my toes at 60.'"

Once PJ was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, the tight belt became the focus of his attention. "I sucked it up, started to exercise and eat right and lost 30 pounds over 4 months. My glucose dropped and has remained low for 5 years. I even had to put a new hole in my belt!"

"Now I watch my diet and exercise 4 days a week. Keeping my 30 pounds off is challenging. I hate it, but it works! I do it for my toes. I do it for my brain, heart, kidneys, eyes and ultimately, my family. I thank God for the kick in the butt to check my blood glucose that day."

Developing and maintaining a healthy lifestyle can be a challenge any time of the year, but especially during the holidays. During American Diabetes Month® this November, join the movement to Stop Diabetes® and download your very own Celebrations Survival Guide. Get tips to handle the holidays and avoid tight belts this Thanksgiving season.

No comments:

Post a Comment