Tuesday, April 12, 2011

What Are These Dry Patches on My Face?

Q: When my diabetes acts up, I notice that dry patches break out on my face. Why might this happen, and what could it be?

A: I need more information to answer your question definitively, but it could be either tinea versicolor or tinea corporis, two types of fungal infection. Unfortunately, neither really fits your description. High blood sugar levels, however, can contribute to the development of fungal infections, which are treated with antifungal creams. Next time you experience an outbreak, see your doctor for a visual diagnosis, a comprehensive examination, and treatment. Other types of rashes associated with diabetes are Acanthosis nigricans, which usually appears as a darkening around the neck and other skin folds, and Necrobiosis lipoidica, which occurs as patches that turn into yellowish plaques on the legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment