Friday, December 23, 2011

Should I Pick Up the Pace?

Q: My doctor told me that I need to get more aerobic exercise, but I hate going to the gym! I do like to walk, but how fast and how long should I go to improve my cardiovascular health?

A:
I understand exactly what you mean about going to the gym; I'm not a big fan of it either. Personally, I prefer to exercise outdoors or at home. And like you, I really enjoy walking.

Recently, I've begun recommending what's known as interval walking to many of my patients. With interval walking, you alternate between short bursts of intensive effort and easier recovery periods, as opposed to walking at a steady, continuous, and potentially monotonous pace. In fact, studies show that you can get better results in 20 minutes of interval exercise than you would in an hour of steady-state exercise. And you can apply the principles of interval walking to a treadmill or elliptical trainer, to biking or swimming, or even to doing jumping jacks in your living room.

So how do you do interval walking? Instead of walking at a constant pace for your entire workout, as you've probably been doing, you should mix it up. That is, after a three-minute warm-up where you walk at an easy or moderate pace, you should alternate short bursts of very fast walking (15 to 60 seconds, depending on your conditioning) with recovery periods of slower walking after each fast burst. You can repeat each interval six to 12 times, or more depending on your fitness level. Aim for walking a total of 20 minutes to start. In general, the more intense the workout (in other words, the faster you go), the shorter the duration of that interval and the longer the recovery period. Conversely, when you're not working as hard, your work period will be longer and your recovery period will be shorter. For example, if you like taking an hour-long walk on weekends, you can certainly do intervals, but don't try to spend the entire hour working at high intensity. And always end with a two-minute cooldown at an easy pace.

I recommend that you do interval walking every other day, alternating it with some core-strengthening exercises. Not only will this type of walking improve your cardiovascular health, it will boost your metabolism so you burn more calories and fat, and that translates into faster weight loss.

Interval training is not only for the very fit. It works just as well for people who are less fit, and is even being used to help cardiac patients and people with lung disease get back in shape. That said, I do recommend that you talk with your doctor before embarking on this or any other exercise program.

No comments:

Post a Comment